Friday, March 8, 2013

Different Types of Writers

When I say I'm a writer, I mean that I write fiction books. But there are so many other types of writers out there besides fiction writers or novelists. Here is a list that I came up with.

Journalist
Comedian (they sometimes write their own scripts)
Biographer
Scriptwriter
Poet
Columnist
Songwriter
Non-fiction Writer
Freelance Writer

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was a poet.

And here are a few more I found digging around on the web:

Academic Writer
Article Writer
Copywriter (how could I forget this one??)
Game Writer
Ghostwriter
Reviewer
Speechwriter
Translator
Technical Writer
Typewriter (heehee. Okay, I know, I know. I just had to throw this one in there. :)

What type of writer do you want to be?

I think it would be fun to write scripts, besides writing novels. Maybe write a script based on a novel I write? :D

2 comments:

Frindlesmith said...

Would you consider a theologian (writer of theology) or a pastor (sermon writer) to be a certain kind of writer, or would they both fall under the category of "non-fiction writer?"

Interesting post either way

Carilyn said...

I think a theologian could be considered an academic writer, possibly, and same with a pastor. The sorts of things they write I would consider to be very much like an essay. However, if a pastor is just writing out an outline, and not the entire sermon (like they used to do in Jonathan Edwards' time), I'm not sure what they would be. While they would be writing, I don't know what type of writing it would be, since it's not writing anything past an outline/notes. I've never really thought of them as non-fiction writers, but that could be a possibility too. I think they could almost get their own class of writers, but I don't know what they would be called. :)

Thanks for your comment!