Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Young Christian Writer's ABCs

Hi Writers!

So I'm starting a series that will be titled "The Young Christian Writer's ABCs". It will be focusing on story writing, as opposed to poetry writing. It's disappointing that I cannot post about every single aspect of writing, but it's hard to fit all that into just 26 posts, so I have to limit what I do.

I was thinking of doing the A to Z Blog Challenge, but I also would love to do Camp NaNoWriMo as a Rebel, and if I took up all of April's posts with the AtoZ challenge, then I would have to double up posts if I also wanted to post about Camp NaNo.

Here is a tentative list of what I'm planning on posting about, and at the bottom of the list, I have a couple of questions to ask you. :)

(I'm not doing Plot, because I'm discussing elements of the plot for several letters.)

Also, letters with a * next to them are already taken. :)

The Young Christian Writer's ABCs

*A - Action
*B- Backstory/flashback
*C- Climax
*D- Description
E- Editing/rewriting
F- Foreshadowing/themes
*G- Genre
H- Hook
*I- Idiosyncrasies
*J- Judgement (talk about critiques)
*K- K=1,000 words
L- Length of a Written Work
M- Middles (Pacing/Subplot)
*N- NaNoWriMo
*O- Organizing and Outlining your Brainstorm (research)
P- POV
Q- Quoting
*R- Readers and Your Baby - What effect do you want to have? (feelings/senses)
S- Synopsis
T- Title
*U- Unexpected Twist
*V- Voice (your writing voice & your character's voices -  dialogue)
W- Writer's Block on Your WIP
*X- Xylophone (music playing while writing)
*Y- Yo Yo Effect (lack of consistency in your writing life)
Z- Zone (setting) (scene)

I reserve the right to not post this in a month, as that would be really intense and I'm busy with other things right now as well. Perhaps sometime we could do a series on favorite characters or books, or what-have-you. After this series is done someday in the future.

How about this? Why don't I try to get one letter up a week? If I can do that, then this series will only take about 1/2 a year.

So, questions for you, fellow writers:

1. Are you doing Camp NaNoWriMo??? Please comment and tell me! I was thinking, since they have the cabins option, I was wondering if I could get 4-5 of you to do it, and then we could all request each other for being in the same cabin! Hmmm... I wonder if it would work... My user name is writing_maiden; look me up and add me as a friend! (Though if you do, I'd love to know that you did, so that I know it's not just some random person.)

2. It pertains to this series. Would you be interested in writing a post for one of the letters?? Some of them I have reserved, like X, but I would be willing to get a little bit of something from you to include in the posts so it's not just me droning on and on. Or you could even write an entire post. Just let me know any ideas you have; I'd love to discuss this with you! I want this place to become a community, eventually, Lord willing, and that means I need your help (promoting, writing for this, whatever you can think of)!

Tomorrow will be the letter A!

16 comments:

Ana Belen said...

Hi Carrie!

I'm not doing camp nanowrimo, I've actually never heard of it.

Still, I would love to help out and post!

Tell me what I can do!

(You know me, email me!)

:)

Elaine J. Dalton said...

This looks great! I'd love to help you out sometime, though I'm not an expert in anything. ;) I really like your idea of a 26 post series. I tried to do Camp NaNo last year but it didn't work out; I ended up having a summer wedding instead. ;) I haven't decided if I'm doing it this year or not. We'll see how that goes. Good luck and God bless!

Carilyn said...

Hi Elaine!

Thanks for commenting! Congratulations on your wedding!! :) Definitely something worth forsaking Camp NaNo over. :D

That's okay, I'm not an expert either (far from it!). Which is why it would be great to have others help write some of these. If you want to write a letter (or more), then just let me know. Since I'm thinking one letter per week, you'd have a few weeks or more to prepare a post, depending on which letter you do. :) I updated the post so that everyone can see which letters are already taken. :)

-Cari

P.S. If you do Camp NaNo, and if I do Camp NaNo, I'd love to be friends with you on there! :)

Jonathan said...

Aw, sweet! I'd love to do a letter! Though I am not an expert, have learned a lot in these past few months.

Carilyn said...

Great, Jonathan! Just let me know which one(s) you'd like to do! :)

Jonathan said...

If it's okay, I'd like to do G and J.

Also, I forgot to mention: I'm doing Camp NaNoWirMo as well! (I've been planning on it since December)
My username is Jonny B. (I know, it's so uncreative).

Carilyn said...

Sounds great. I'll mark those two off so no one else takes them. :)

Have you done Camp NaNo before? I haven't, so I didn't know if it would work to request other people to be in your cabin, or if you just end up with random people that write stories you don't like. :/

Jonathan said...

Thanks!

This is my first time too, so I can't really help you there. I have a friend who has done it though, and she requested several friends. She ended up in a cabin with I think seven other Christians between the ages of 14 and 23 (I think). So I can't speak from experience, but I would request friends if I were you.

Frindlesmith said...

Nice idea for a blog series. It
looks like you've covered all the
important points.

A couple of questions about this
series:

First, if we write a post for one
of the letters, how are you going
to upload it?

Also, do you intend to stick to a
chronological A to Z format, or
will you just post any letter
that's ready?

I've written a blog post about
researching for fiction writers
and I notice that you have a
subject titled "Organizing and
Outlining your Brainstorm."


I'd be happy to share the post
with my brothers and sisters in
Christ, but should I wait for A -
N to be finished first? If so, I'm
totally fine with that.


Unfortunately, I'm not doing Camp
NaNoWriMo. I might over the
Summer, though, when I have time.

Carilyn said...

Hi Frindlesmith,

Thanks for your comment!

I was thinking (for uploading posts that you guys write) either making you temporary authors on this blog (with limited permissions) so that you can upload everything yourself the way you want it, or I'd have you guys send me the pictures and text, and then I'd post the post for you. It might be easier if I just made you guys temporary authors.

At this point, I'm planning on sticking to the chronological A-Z format.

Your post sounds very interesting! I can reserve O for you if you want. :) I'd prefer it be posted after A-N are posted... but I might end up changing the chronological requirement in the future, because it might make it easier for coordinating our efforts better.

Frindlesmith said...

Hi Cari,

As I said, it's totally fine if you want to stick with the A - Z format / post A - N before O - Z. Whatever helps the writer's community.

I'd like it very much if you'd reserve O.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Feel free to visit my blog if you'd like.

Carilyn said...

Findlesmith, I marked O off as reserved. :) I'm looking forward to reading your post.

Frindlesmith said...

Hello again Cari,

Is anyone doing E or F? I can write a post on one or the other, but I want to make sure all the followers get a letter. Which letter is more important to be covered?

Carilyn said...

Hi Frindlesmith,

So far, I have no one signed up for E or F. I don't think all the followers want to do a letter, so you can do either one if you want. They're probably about equal in importance.

Frindlesmith said...

Hi Cari,


I'll do E then.

By the way, is there a deadline on this post? Is this still a weekly post kind of thing?

Carilyn said...

Yes, I'm trying to have it be a weekly thing. So your letter would be next week if the schedule goes the right way. If someone is unable to finish a post in time, we can always skip a week here and there.