Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Challenge of Print

This week's challenge:

1. Write a minimum of 100 words by hand or type them on a typewriter. The key is to not write it on a computer or mobile device.
2. Your 100+ words can be a story, blog post, poem, or whatever.
3. After you've typed or written your 100 words, post a picture or scan of it on your blog, and then come back here and link up so we can see your work! :)

So much is done electronically these days. While electronics are very valuable, there is something unique and special about something that was handwritten or typed out on a typewriter. You see, these two methods of writing are not done on a device that immediately connects to the internet. There is of course a benefit to this - not being distracted by the web!

courtesy of pinterest.com


People used to write entire books by hand, and some still type out entire books on a typewriter, even today. I do not necessarily endorse the following authors, but I am using them as examples.

J.K. Rowling writes out her entire first drafts by hand with paper and pen. Stephen King has written at least one whole novel using a fountain pen. David McCullough still types out all his books on a typewriter. E.B. White wrote Charlotte's Web on a typewriter. Margaret Mitchell (Gone with the Wind), wrote on a typewriter.

This challenge is pretty easy. There are no winners, so it's not a contest. It's just a way to challenge ourselves to take the time to do something writing-wise that we don't usually do. I'll be doing it too, and I'll post my picture or scan on my blog, and link it below, same as you. :)

*Note: There is something going on with the linkup so I can't lengthen the time it is open. So if you would like to share your link, please do so in the comments. I'd love to read your posts!*

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

I'm totally trying this. Nevre done it before, but it shouldn't be too hard. Now, what to write about...

Jonathan said...

I actually completed this challenge on the first day, but haven't had a chance to scan or take a picture of my paper. I was well over 100 words.

Carilyn said...

I took the linky out of the post and am putting my link down here. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I thought it was weird for my link to be the only one up there. :P

http://awritingmaiden.blogspot.com/2013/02/post-typed-on-typewriter.html

I'm glad to hear that someone else did the challenge too, Jonathan. :)